Breeze Shiplake to Chiltern Valley Vineyard, Rtn Fawley 28 miles

According to my diary, today is THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING! And what a cracking day it turned out to be. The temperature hit 20 degrees on our way back.😎😎😎

I have started a route from Shiplake a few times over the years, but not for some time. It has the advantage of getting us straight into the Chilterns.  The Chiltern Valley Vineyard, above Hambleden Valley,  has quite recently started serving drinks/snacks in the courtyard, 7 days a week. I had been to check it out with hubby on Sunday, (on my ebike πŸ˜‰),  as well as recce part of today's route. (I did find a deep flood nr Bix, so changed my original route to miss it out).

Windsor Champ Karen assisted again today. And Louise was out for the first time after her big adventure over the past 5 weeks, and only got back yesterday.  I shared the route with everyone, which was useful today, especially as Karen somehow managed to load hers in reverse. πŸ˜‚ Technology, don't we just love it. 

Route

Amanda T, who lives in Wargrave, got the train to Shiplake. It's a short Branch line which shuttles back and forth to Henley, but crucially crosses the Thames behind Loddon Drive in Wargrave. This saved Amanda a drive over either Sonning Bridge or Henley bridge to our start point. Worked well!

Meeting at Shiplake Memorial Hall car park
(I had asked for permission beforehand)

We dropped downhill initially, crossing straight over the A4155 Henley Road,  into Lower Shiplake, and almost passed the station. Then a climb up out of Lower Shiplake to cross back of the main road further along, and into the quiet Woodlands Road. It's a beautiful road, even in winter, but in a few weeks time will be gorgeous with fresh Beech Foliage. We passed quite a bit of Laurel in flower, which together with tree pollen, is not great for heyfever sufferers. 

An enjoyable fast downhill into Harpsden Valley, where Amanda O who was leading at that point,  had pulled over, assuming I might want  a photo of the tree blossom ahead.  Which I did. 😁


We saw lots of beautiful blossom out today, particularity Magnolias. 
Left now at this sign. 

Same point as we all join up on the Harpsden Valley Road. 

About a mile into the Valley Road, our route took a right turn up the steep Gillot's Lane. (I was popular!)  Once it flattens out, we rode in two groups for the next part, along Greys Road to Rotherfield Greys. I spotted an amazing scene on the right, just before our next turn, so we pulled over and waited for the others to see it too.

Views at Rotherfield Greys.
So funny, as the sheep all lined up for a walk. 

Pulling over at a gateway, to see the sheep
in Rotherfield Greys 

A right turn, then a bit of a climb to pass NT Greys Court. 

(My original plan had been to turn left after Greys Court and through to Bix, to drop in to the Stonor Valley, but there is a big flood in Bix as I found out on Sunday). 

So, in 2 groups of 4, we continued and all nice and flat, with beautiful countryside before dropping down steeply on Gravel Hill, Henley. Immediately after the impressive entrance gates to George Harrison's estate, we turned left into Hop Gardens. 

I had not been this way before, but a useful cut through avoiding the town centre. (we would  use this cut through on our return later)

Joining the cyclepath up the Fairmile, we peddled gradually up the Stonor Valley.

Stonor Valley views

I had been here on Sunday, and was really hoping to see the cows at Stonor Farm with all their calves. But they weren't there today. So, here are a couple of photos I took on Sunday.

Stonor Calves which I saw on Sunday's ride

They were so well organised, lying on the dry straw.
What a shame they were nowhere to be seen today. 

Passing Stonor Park, a right turn up Balham's Lane, up to Turville Heath,  and our toughest climb today. Not too steep, but it does go on a bit. 

Balham's Lane 

Balham's Lane 

Balham's Lane 

Balham's Lane 
Right, I need to catch them up!

Well done everyone. I think at this point, we all decided we were overdressed! But also, Kim had a flattish tyre! It wasn't too far to coffee, so with some air added, she limped to coffee stop. 

Saddlecam selfie at Turville Heath. With a daffodil lined drive behind.
Rose, Linda, Kim, Amanda T, Amanda O, Louise, Me, Karen. 

We continued on the flat to Southend, and into the very potholed Dudley Lane, through the woods to the vineyard. 

Time to change Kim's inner tube. 

3 ladies shared a pizza. It was officially after 12 by now. 

Rose, Karen and Linda on the next table.
(Kim in the background getting her wheel back on.)

Kim also realised that her chain would not move up to the big cog,  and after a few attempts at trying to move it up from different positions,  it was definitely stuck in the small chain wheel. (maybe cable too tight? This has happened to me before). But at least she could use all the gears within the small cog. 

Fed and watered, we retraced half a mile or so back through Dudley Lane, which was amazingly hard work with coffee legs! I noticed on my Garmin that it came up as an official climb! WOT!! I knew it was uphill slightly, but wasn't expecting that! (On Sunday, I had dropped down steeply into Hamblen Valley from here.)

Left at the junction, and all pretty easy now as we headed to Fawley, which most ladies had not been to before. It's a very pretty lane, and pretty much all downhill.

Views near Lower Woodend Farm Nr Fawley

then THIS! oh no, not again.

Kim and I had both checked her tyre in both directions back at the Vineyard and found nothing. She didn't have another spare tube, but fortunately my spare fitted.  This time, I found a TINY sharp piece of thorn, or metal, which I used my tweezers to remove. But also stuck a plaster over the tyre to be sure! (I always carry 2 spares ladies. Good idea for you to do the same if possible.)

Kim said she felt quite liberated being able to fix her tyre twice now. Well done Kim. Let's hope it IS fixed this time. At least we found something this time. 

An easy downhill followed after this puncture stop, as we dropped back into Stonor Valley,  and once more we joined the Cyclepath of the Fairmile, still heading downhill.  I was ahead with Amanda, and the others seemed to be getting further back, but thinking about it now, it was probably because Kim's leg would be turning, getting nowhere fast.πŸ˜“)  We waiting for them the catch up.

We took the right turn into Badgemore Lane, (uphill this direction!) emerging at Gravel Hill once more. Straight over from here into Paradise Road, and then I unfortunately led them the wrong way. (Should have turned almost immediately left into Deanfield Ave). A mystery tour over the next few minutes, before we found our route once more into Church Street.

Church Street with Amanda O looking very colourful.

We were soon back in Harpsden Valley and now continued along the flat, before going steeply up Perseverance Hill. As soon as I turned, I knew I had a soft tyre, as I bounced up and down, but kept going, only pulling over for a very annoying Tesco delivery van coming down this very narrow lane. 😑. We all made it up to the top. Then Karen said her front brake wasn't working. OK.... take it easy then down the last hill!

My tyre was still  holding up, so I hoped to get back to the start without fixing it. (Less than 2 miles now). As we dropped down after Binfield Heath, a call from behind.   

What now?  Louise's chain off. 

Pulling in at Teapot Cottage, Binfield Heath to wait for Louise to get
her chain back on. 

The "chain" gang. πŸ˜‚

We made it. Not sure how! 

We met a guy in the carpark, who asked where we had been etc? He used to work in Halfords and was very impressed by our ride and the fact that we all finished!  I was amazed too. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Well done ladies. I loved this route today, and apart from a few climbs, we had loads of easier miles too. Funny shape today. Can't see any animals... can you? Could call it "3 loops are better than 1"