WLCG Loop to Sip & Spoke - 26 miles

4 of us planned to ride today with 3 of the old ones on various holidays. Gill was due to come, but sadly a message this morning that her Dad is back in hospital, so she's gone up north.  Hope he's ok Gill. 

Martina and Lynne's kids are back at school today. Ive not seen them all summer,  so we caught on summer holiday trips amongst our chats.

Last night our plan was to drive to Mattingley for a ride. But with a bit of rain forecast, we scrapped the idea to stay local instead, delaying our start to 9.30, by which time it stayed dry.  We made up the route as we went along, heading in the direction of Knowl Hill.

Route link

The pond at Hurst looking very sad, but better than a week ago!

We rode along past the Green Man pub onto Hungerford Lane, the Brook Street to reach Waltham St Lawrence. 

The clouds remained quite threatening all morning.

Shottesbrook Sheep on Halls Lane WSL

Halls Lane, with Shottesbrook behind us. 

pulled over at the main Shottesbrook gates as a very noisy
truck was desperate to pass. Lots of logs from fallen branches.

I gave them the choice of whether we climb up to Sip and Spoke, or come down from Sip and Spoke. Lynne preferred the hill before coffee so into Bottle Lane, and we joined the bridal track to connect to the A4. But first I called in at the  Royal Oak Pub, to enquire as if they could accomodate 30 cyclists from Breeze pre Christmas? Yes, so I will put forward as a suggestion.

Our little gradual climb now to Sip and Spoke and look who had arrive just ahead of us. 

We left them to chat in peace, but ended up riding part way 
home with them.

I noticed as I was leaving, that my front brake was making a noise. The sort of noise that usually means the piston is stuck. 😟

Just around the corner on Blakes Road Wargave,  a huge artic lorry was
reversing back.  We gave up waiting and doubled back to
cut through the estate... dropping downhill into Victoria Road.
We then had to regain our height to the other end of Blakes Road. 😖

We lost the boys at the A4, and came down Castle End Lane to Ruscombe, and eventually back through Hurst Lanes and over the Cantley motorway bridges.

When I got home, I spun my front wheel, which barely moved.  No wonder my legs felt weary.  Booked in with Ferdi next Wednesday afternoon. So will be using another bike on Monday and Wednesday. 

Nice to see you both.