Breeze (with Julie) Ockwell Park to Burnham Beeches - 21 miles

As leaders, we have been discussing that Wednesday is such a popular day, that we should be offering 3 rides instead of 2, rather than doubling up leaders to have an assistant.   I think it's fair to say we all prefer a smaller groups of leader + 5, and quicker at the coffee stop too. So this week, we offered 3 rides. 

Sue led to Stubbings with a full ride,  my ride from Riseley to Silchester had one, and Caroline only had two meeting her in South Ascot.  Leader Julie, from Maidenhead,  also had only 1 rider signed up! I guess all the pensioners are on holiday. 😂

I suggested to my rider Louise, that it would be an idea to change the date on my ride to next week, and join Julie for a ride from Ockwell Park to Burnham  Beeches, which Louise was happy to do, and Julie was happy too to have us boost her numbers. 

I offered Louise a lift, since otherwise a 40 miler, and a threat of early rain. We had a rather disruptive car journey thanks for phone calls.

  1. As we we leaving my house, I missed a call from Amanda T, so I called her back. She was on her way to join Caroline's ride, but had a flat tyre (car presumably), but didn't have her number. Quickest way was for me to call her directly, which I did. So Caroline now down to 1 rider.
  2. Missed call from Cathy Whittington. Strange 😕. I got Louise to call her back as I was driving, now running slightly late, since I had not been paying attention and was heading the wrong way to get to White Waltham 😂. Cathy was at Riseley waiting for me.   She had signed up for the ride last night..... not noticing that it was NEXT Wednesday! Oops. ( she did a ride on her own since she was there.)
  3. A call next from Julie at 9.29 to ask if we were on our way? Not yet late, but a road closure, and roadworks at Woodlands Park meant we finally arrived about 5 mins late.  I felt exhausted before I even started!
I was surprised to see Julie waiting on her own, and not with her rider, Judy.  Change of plan, that Judy would meet us at coffee, but that another lady had got in touch with Julie to meet us in Bray. (she didn't turn up either!)

Route link saved after our ride.

I didn't have the route since it was in Julie's head, so had no idea where we were going, but did recognise a fair amount to start with as we cross the pedestrian bridge over the A404 (Kimber Lane), then through Braywick to Bray. Monkey Island bridge is unfortunately closed atm, so we used the excellent, if a bit noisy,  cyclepath alongside the M4 to connect to Marsh Lane and into Taplow. 

We were supposed to meet another cyclist here
as we left Bray, but she didn't turn up. What a crazy day!
Julie's jacket is about to come off here. It was really muggy.

And now to ride literally alongside the M4. I have done this on the
other side a while back, but never from this side. 

Marsh Lane is very nice, but then once we doglegged over the A4, our route was a bit residential with traffic for a little while, but a nice village green as we reached Burnham Park. 

photo stop of Burnham Park 

Louise and Julie waiting for the photographer at Burnham Park.

We continued on Green Lane, part of which we would return on later after our loop to Burnham Beeches. A few undulations and pretty tree lined lanes before we crossed a cattle grid into the  traffic free woodland area. 


A substantial old tree.  The tree colours not yet at their
peak, but the light today was very nice. 

Coffee stop. I had been here a couple of  times 
years ago with leader Cathy on  our way to Black Park.

Grass roof on the cafe.

Louise, Judy, me, Julie and Jose.
(Jose arrived on the off chance I think. Another B.Cycling leader)

Judy left us to get back to work, and the 4 of us cycled back together, heading first to the village of Egypt.  How bizarre! 

Egypt turn off, and I noticed the signage was City of London. 

Very pleasant lanes now, with just one short section on a busier road to take a left turn into Harehatch Lane.  It was a shame that there was traffic in both directions on this narrow road, since Julie said is normally empty!  We guessed a road closure somewhere was the reason. 

Pulling in on a bend on Harehatch Lane to allow traffic to pass. A
road block ahead with cars needing to reverse back to the junction. Chaos!

Traffic free again on a beautiful lane called Park Lane.

Oh dear.  Julie's front tyre down, but at least a quiet road......
except that 4 cars came through and moved the cones to get through.

We found a piece of sharp flint in the tyre, but had a few issues with the value in the replacement tube. It came off to remain inside the pump.  A white van came through the closed road and I asked if they had a pair of pliers?  The driver was foreign so didn't understand initially, but a younger lad knew what we needed.  That resolved the issue, expect that it happened all over again, at which point, Julie decided to ask her partner to collect her.  She used Whats app "share location" to send to her partner.


With absolutely no idea where we were, and no route to follow to get back, Jose offered to lead Louise and I back to the A4 in Maidenhead, then I knew the way back from there.  Thanks so much Jose.  A very pleasant last few miles passing Hitcham Church, and with a few undulations, we dropped down Berry Hill in Taplow to the A4, where Jose left us to head for home. 

We returned on the Greenway to Braywick and back of the pedestrian bridge over the A404 to Ockwell Park. 

It was only 21 miles, but seemed longer since it was a lot of new lanes today. Thanks to Julie for being our guide, and nice to meet Judy and Jose too.