I checked last week that the little "Bryan Ferry the Ferry" was still running mid week (Wed only). He will run until the river is in flood, so that will be late autumn at the earliest. So I planned this route today to support the ferry, which replaces the footbridge near Temple Lock which has been shut now for 4 years!
Windsor champ Karen joined me today with Nikki T, Kim, Karen, and Amy. We set of from Cantley, where I immediately got my route wrong, but it didn't matter (I meant to go over Carters Hill, so no one complained that we missed it 😊)
Route link screenshot at end
It had a been a bit of a shock this morning to set off in 16 degrees, but by the time we reached Hurst Lanes, I was already too warm. Time for jacket off.
 |
Amy didn't get the memo about wearing pink today, but everyone else did. They started coming off after this photo. |
Once through Shurlock Row, and to White Waltham cricket ground, we continued on the road, passing the airfield at Woodlands Park. A steady uphill now in 2 groups, to the A4 roundabout, to wiggle through to Pinkneys Green.

Into Winter Hill Road next for our climb to Cookham Dean. (My gravel bike has the front brake stuck on, so I was on my ebike today. I felt bad, as I hit the little power button... but not for too long. 😇😂)
 |
A breather part way up Winter Hill Road, nr Cookham Dean. Most jackets now off.
|
At the top of our climb, we turned left to join the hairpin road down to Marlow, but a "ROAD CLOSED SIGN". Nooooo! That is not good news. Thank goodness we got the ok to walk through, where they were laying new tarmac in patches. But once passed the workmen, we had the downhill to ourselves. Wheeeee.
 |
| Quarry Wood Road blocked, then an empty road since it was closed. |
Into Marlow, over the bridge across the Thames, and a left turn to the cafe. (first time over the Thames)
 |
We sat on the Veranda at the M Cafe in Marlow, with its fake Wisteria flower, although some were also real.
|
 |
| Amy, Kim, Karen, Nikki T, Karen, Anne |
 |
Kim asked me if Steve Redgrave was actually that tall. (I think she was joking) |
 |
| taken by Kim |
A little climb to join the Henley Road for about 200 yards, then downhill into Harleyford Lane to take us to Temple Lock, and to catch the ferry. Mostly on tarmac, with just a short section of off road.
My route was to go to Hurley on the track between the crop fields, but Karen led us instead to cross a pedestrian bridge (back to the other side), then as we reached Hurley Lock we crossed the second pedestrian bridge. This is not doing our average speed any good at all! 😄
Well done everyone. Hope you all enjoyed a route with a difference today. Nice to see Nikki that I don't see often, and for her to meet a few more Breeze ladies too.