Breeze Cantley to Henley - 31 miles

I think I was lucky to get 2.5 hours sleep last night, so I'm doing my best to stay awake a little longer to write my blog! 😩 

I had asked my riders who were driving to the start,  if any of them had any spare plant pots in their shed, could I please borrow them  for a few weeks? (A home project).  Karen and Kate kindly did bring some pots, but I had stupidly not planned how I would get them home! 😂😂😂. Karen's husband who had dropped her off, very kindly dropped the pots off at my house too. Thankyou! 

The Breeze leaders are hoping in future, where possible, to get 3 Wednesday rides out each week, with smaller groups. But with 3 leaders not free this week, I ended up with 9 today.  (Rose / Hazel also out with a group).  The ride had filled up then had a couple of changes as often happens. I had wished Amanda T "happy birthday" a couple of days ago on FB, and she had commented that she would see me Wednesday. But she wasn't registered.😖 Very strange. She had received an email notifying her of a place now available, and thought she had booked on.  I guess that someone else must have logged in at exactly the same time as she was booking a space. So, I agreed she could come along even if no one else cancelled, but didn't want to risk adding a place incase someone else booked it.

Garmin route screenshot at end

From Cantley, we all introduced ourselves to "young" Amy, who had driven from Farnborough.  I believe she had ridden once with Sue, but most of today's group had not met her before. With Caroline assisting today, we left in 2 groups and by the time we reached the top at Forest Road, quite a string of cars behind, so we pulled over. (A road closed somewhere? Much busier than usual).

Caroline announced that her Garmin had shut down, so after a reset, we set off again in two groups, until we reached Broadcommon Lane, Hurst,  and a quick drink stop. It was warm already.

Sunny September morning, with tee shirts and shorts. 

A zig zag through Shurlock Row to Waltham St Lawrence to start our gentle climb towards Crazies Hill.

Crazies Hill, and now flat or downhill for several miles to Aston. 

We ignored the "Road closed" sign on Aston Lane, but did need to slow right down where some work was happening all across the road. I chatted to the workmen, since that road has only just been beautifully tarmacked!   One explained that it still floods, and so they were putting drainage pipes in under the road, to hopefully avoid the flooding in the dip in future.... and so avoiding the road breaking up. About time! It's been dreadful for years. So now, a patched road again. 😖

The view to the Hambleden Valley along Remenham Lane. 

A queue of cars as we joined the main road over the bridge in Henley, but the cars were very obliging. 


The lights on red, so a chance for some photos. 


Unusually, we were heading straight through Henley today, to the Rugby Club cafe, just at the start of the Marlow Road. It's a family run cafe, called Menza. I had not been before, but my "Friday" friends had been, so I was aware of it.


A big indoor space, so a good one for winter too, but today, we sat outside. 
The young man serving was very pleasant. 

Caroline, Anne, Kate, Amanda T, Karen
Amy, Diane, Louise, Geraldine. 

There was some rather than loud "Diva" music playing when we arrived, and I asked if it could please be turned down, which it was.   Almost as soon as they turned it down, some great tracks came on from "our era", and we wondered if they had changed the play list to "Pensioners choice" 😍

Rather than ride back through the town centre, we turned right into the Fairmile, but then first left in to Badgemore Lane, which is a steep climb up to Hop Gardens, skirting the edge of the late George Harrison's estate. But an easy run then along the Harpsden Valley, with just the cheeky Perseverance Hill to get us out to Binfield Heath.

Here comes the gatecrasher, Amanda T, just
back from a very flat Dutch cycling trip. 

Kate and Caroline, with Diane following. 

It's pretty dark in there.

No one complained that it was all downhill now to Playhatch, where we split into 3x3 to reach Sonning, then in two groups to Woodley, and down Sandford Lane.

Louise and I left the group in Winnersh, with Caroline leading everyone else back to Cantley.

Well done ladies, and some new bits for some of you which is always nice.