WLCG Wargrave to Turville & Hambleden - 22 miles

Where is everybody?   Another Friday, and ladies busy with holidays, festivals, family, or just knackered. πŸ˜‚. So  I was pleased to have Andrea for company today. She said she was ok up to 25 miles, which if leaving from home, covers old ground that I did either last week with kids, or next week with Breeze. So we went in the van to Upper Wargrave to start there. 

Route link screenshot at end

We dropped down Aston Lane to cross the weir.  And with the surface now good tarmac, Andrea was like a rocket . I couldn't keep up! 

The gates at the lock were open for boats to come through

This made us smile. The geese mostly standing on 
one leg, like a pilates group. 

We bypassed Hambleden Village, and continued up the valley road to the end, then took a left turn to Turville just for a look. 

Part way along the Hambleden Valley Road. 
A beautiful day. 

Turville "Vicar of Dibley" Church

Looking to the windmill.
Loved the clouds today, after weeks of boring blue sky.πŸ˜‰

oh dear. Terrible selfie. 

We chatted to some walkers about to set off from Turville. They were supporting groups of kids doing DofE. They had got soaked yesterday.  I commented on the amount of debri and gravel on the lanes today, thanks to the heavy rain.  The lady, who had a 4X4, said there were floods around Fingest yesterday that she was scared to drive through. 

We backtracked out of Turville, with a few cars/lorries, suddenly converging and causing chaos.  We continued to climb to Frieth, where this scene with cattle was on our left.  This road is always a good bit cooler, thanks to trees overhanging, and it was a perfect temperature. 


Andrea ahead as I stopped for my photo, heading to Frieth X Roads.

I had considered turning left to continue with further climbing to Lane End Cafe, but decided we would have done enough by the time we finished.  

First right once through Frieth X Roads, and where the road conditions always deteriorate. πŸ˜–



Then to the to lane which connects to Chiselbridge Lane, with the cheeky up hill to Rockwell End. 

Quite breezy here. Andrea ahead somewhere to liase
past the uphill at the farm. 

From Rockwell Hill End, we joined the steep descent of Pheasants Hill.... and who should join us, but a couple of Pheasants right in front of us. 😊 

Moments later, I saw 2 large deer dash out from a hedge, and run across the road, and I shouted to Andrea, who I suspected hadn't noticed them. 3 more dashed out from the hedge, then another 2. I was at the hedge gap now, so just stopped incase more were following. Don't fancy getting taken out by a deer! 

Tea stop sitting outside at Hambleden Village Stores.


hmm. Looking a bit ominous. 

The village hall. 

Quite breezy as we left Hambleden, so thankfully the 
black clouds were blown through.

Back across the wier and up Flower Pot Hill to Crazies Hill. We upped the pace for our dash to the end and finished on 10.1mph.  (crossing the weir twice doesnt  help the average speed!)

Well done Andrea, and thanks for your company.