Gill mentioned on Friday that she would pre ride this route for her Breeze ride this Thursday, since a couple of bits she wasn't sure of. I'm assisting her on Wednesday on her very first Breeze led ride, and this was to be her second on Thursday.
With Daphne unwell, I offered to join her. We planned to meet at The Walter Arms, Bearwood Road at 9.30. Enroute through the woods, I got a phone call from Gill. Her chain had snapped! She was not far from Winnersh cross roads.
Plan B. Whilst she walked the rest of the way to our meeting point (at Winnersh Community Hall car park), I would ride back home, and load up 2 bikes, so that she could use my Orro. Its the same as hers, and I used my ebike. We left her broken bike in the van, and set off to ride Bearwood Road, still closed to through traffic until September.
Through the Coombes and then headed over the little ford bridge to Arborfield X.
![]() |
| Still plenty of water in the ford, despite 2 months of no rain! |
![]() |
| Emerging at Arborfield roundabout, we went straight over to join Swallowfield Road, as far as Castle Hill. |
![]() |
| Gill on her way up Castle Hill to Farley Hill I did this just last week. Its 11% at worst point. I used the power button on my ebike.😊 |
Down to the next ford now at Thatchers Ford, to get off the bikes and walk through the field to the bridge. There is a barrier so we helped each other with bikes over the barrier.
![]() |
| Pink Himalayan Balm at Long River at Thatcher's Ford |
Right now on Ford Lane, and worked our way to Trowes Lane and Lambs Lane to whizz over the A33 on our way to Beech Hill. Soon we arrived at the entrance to Stratfield Saye. Gill had done the house tour here last week, and asked if ok to come to the cafe if not visiting the house? She was told yes. It's only open for the month of August, whilst the family are away on holiday.
![]() |
| The gates were open as we arrived to peddle up the long drive way. But the car park is off to the left, so didn't get all the way to the house. |
![]() |
| 1.5 ladies on bikes |
![]() |
| The cafe just off the car park |
Our return route all very familiar, under the A33 to Riseley, then to Swallowfield and across Observer Way to Arborfield Church, where we joined the farm track toWinnersh.
I then dropped Gill home with her broken chain, and hope that she can get it fixed tomorrow for her ride on Wednesday. If not, she can use mine again since I will be with her.







