Breeze Woosehill to Grazeley inc tracks. 24 miles

With a forecast of 30 + again today, I decided to start at 08.30 since it's school holidays and quiet traffic-wise for those driving to the start. Almost everyone there keen at 08.20!😎 I was aiming to be back by midday.

We left in a different direction to usual today, crossing Woosehill on pathways, and even dropped in at Jeanette's briefly for Louise to deliver something. (Thankfully she wasn't in her PJs 😂)

Route link screenshot at end

We headed through Fox Hill Woods, joining it from Limmerhill Road. I had planned to go this way but had never actually done it this direction before. Louise, who often walks here but never cycled it, took the lead to get us through the tracks to Highlands Avenue following my route, and back on tarmac. We joined the "closed" Bearwood Road, and soon into Coombes Lane, to join the next off road section.   

I heard Amanda say "oh....hello" to a runner, and thought how funny that she should  meet someone she knew! Seconds later, I spotted someone I knew too! 😂

Loads of shade on our ride through The Coombes
Amanda T, Janet, Kate, Clare, Louise and Anne

We ignored the track which goes across the ford bridge to Arborofield X, and headed downhill on Gravelhillpit Lane, then straight across Mole Road, to another gravel track, this time uphill. We once more ignored the turn to the other ford. (It's an easier ride to continue straight, and take the next left onto the concrete track.)

The usual performance to get through the barrier
and just as we all got through, a truck came along and opened the gate.😖

We had clocked up 4.5 miles so far, almost all off road. Our average speed an amazing 7.7mph. 😉😄

Continuing along the Halls Farm track we turned left and joined Church Lane, Arborfield, then Janet took the lead along Greensward Lane and up Castle Hill to Farley Hill. Pretty much our only climb of the day. 11% at the top.  But a nice downhill followed on Sandpit Lane. 

Through Swallowfield, and once across to Kingsbridge Hill (the green bridge), we turned left today and joined a track to take us under the A33 to Beech Hill. The track is really firm and flat, and also shady. Just a shame about some of the fly-tipping alongside the A33.😠

Emerging from the track  behind this pretty cottage which I have
photographed before. But its almost disappeared under the Wisteria!

Passing the large Beech Hill House (now flats), we were at the top of a slight rise, so the next couple of miles were a chance to increase our average speed a little, which so far was pathetic.😂 We crossed the A33 at Three Mile Cross, and soon joined the pathways through Shinfield to the Tin Roof Cafe. 

The landscape is so dry everywhere

We had been very fortunate to have plenty of shade until
this pathway to Shinfield, but coffee only 5 mins away. 

I had worried that it might be full of noisy kids.
It was empty. Bliss. 

A nice chatty coffee break and "Happy Birthday" to Clare.

I got accosted by a lady from Shinfield Parish Council  who wanted to tell me all about the activities they provide at this location.  I told her I would spread the word. Amongst lots of other things they set up a cinema room. https://shinfieldparish.gov.uk/shinfield-cinema/  

FYI. I notice on their website that from THIS WEEKEND, the Tin Roof Cafe will no long open Saturday and Sundays. Monday - Friday only.

An easy few miles back now as we used Cutbush Lane, Lower Earley to connect to Mill Lane, Sindlesham where we joined the other end of Bearwood Road and cut through to Woosehill once more at the Walter Arms pub. 


Almost back at Walter Arms pub on Sadlers End.

It doesn't look like 32 degrees. It was lovely along the shady lanes

Janet left us at the far end of  Sadlers End to go directly  home to Winnersh.

We finished pretty much spot on at midday, as I got home at 12.03.  It was strange coming home well before lunch time! That's definitely a first for my rides. Nice to see everyone. Thanks for joining me today. Looking forward to normal service being resumed to a 9.30 start and just 20 degrees! 

A fun shaped "animal" route today.