Cookham Loop via Pinkneys Green - 32 miles

Monday and Linda is in Spain, (in the rain 😔) and Dave not free, so just Daphne, John and me today. The forecast for today wasn't the best, so we decided not to have an "away" day. Daphne drove to us, and we headed to Flat Harry's in Cookham. 

It was 11 degrees with a strong NE wind!!! We were all freezing. Wishing I had worn my winter gloves!!

Route link

Passing that lovely house at Shurlock Row opposite the pond
One of many nose blow stops for me today. 

Along Smewins Road, Daphne heard a repeated thud, thud, thud.  A P in her back tyre.
John was on the case and sorted in good time. 

horses opposite the P stop.


Into White Waltham and up to Pinkneys Green, then dropped down  Long Lane to Flat Harrys. We were all glad to sit indoors!  My squeaking front tyre, which had got worse during the last 4 days in the Cotswolds, was definitely adding resistance today. I asked the mechanic if he could take a look whilst we had coffee? The phone rang at the same time, and he said "let me just deal with this call then I'll take a look". He never did appear, so I thought never mind, he must be too busy. 

When we left, Daphne's tyre was a little soft, so I suggested she go inside and ask for their proper pump, at which point the mechanic suddenly remembered that he hadn't looked at my bike. He said it would just take 5 mins, which it did. Sorted and no charge. 😊 It felt great on the way back. Wish I'd had it sorted pre-Cotswolds. 

Almond and Blueberry slice. 

 

Rather than climb back up Long Lane, we used the cyclepath to connect to Malders Lane. Still uphill, but I think not so daunting at Long Lane. 

Malders Lane, Cookham. 

Top end of Malders Lane, this car was turning around. 

Passing Pinkneys Common. 

Through Burchetts Green to Little Wick Green, and Daphne eventually knew where she was as we emerged onto the Knowl Hill Bridal circuit path. 

We decided this is Wheat Crop. 

Up Bottle / Butchers Lane to White Waltham, then back onthe main stretch to WSLawrence X Roads and via Brook Lane to Shurlock Row. 

Picking up a bag which was in the middle of the road on the Straight Mile.
(this road is very long and straight said Daphne!!!)

Even with glasses on, my eyes were hurting with the cold wind today, and I had a headache by the time we finished.  June!! We finished with a very respectable 11.6 mph, which was at 12mph earlier on. Again the wind, that was quite fast..... for me anyway.